Does culture eat strategy for breakfast
We had a great knowledge share by the legendary Monica Graham on what’s more important in a business – culture or strategy? – and came up with some interesting insites – or what I call “gems”
What you think about in your business becomes the actions you take, and those actions lead to your business habits, which go on to shape how you conduct business (your business character).
And that shapes your business destiny…. and ultimately your business culture.
As a business , we need to be very careful about what you as a Business think about and focus on.
In our BBG Thinktank that followed – facilitated by BBG facilitator, Judith Rose Max , the answer we came to after much discussion and collaboration was
Leadership eats strategy and culture for breakfast Have you thought about where your business wants to be in 6 months, a year, or 5 years?
Have you thought deeply about how to get there?
Have you thought about what type of culture you need in your business in order to set yourself up for success next year?
What is leadership?
The 4 steps are1 Role Model Your business is a reflection of you.
2. Fostering Understanding and ConvictionShow people that you care – capture their hearts – and they will share with you their minds.
3. Develop talent and skills. In this crazy world of technology and Murphy’s Law” – things are changing at a rapid rate. With machine learning and AI providing the technology providing the “heavy lifting” and “precision” – those that will survive and thrive will be those that will be able to learn how to learn.
4 Reinforce with formal mechanisms Systems and processes are key
- Have formalised Onboarding sessions
- Continuous training is key
- Have formalised accountability sessions
- Share wins
- Reinforce your culture
- Get your team to use the tools that you have (Referron or hubspot or salesforce or Act ) .
- Reward and recognise outstanding behaviour
“the importance of living above the line”
Monica spoke about the importance of teams having an owners mindset
- Where cash is king
- Act now
- Be accountable
- Challenge and respect
- Have clear discussions and outcomes and
- Be fit for purpose